The VAST Challenge 2012 Workshop will be held Sunday, October 14th at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel in the Redwood AB Rooms. The workshop runs from 8:30 to 5:55, with the poster session continuing into the Symposia Reception from 6:00 to 7:30.
The day will begin with an overview of this year’s VAST Challenge and presentation of awards. All award-winning teams are asked to be present for the awards.
The workshop will feature presentations by many of the award-winning entries. In addition, contestants have also been invited to show posters about their work and demonstrate their submissions at the poster session at the end of the workshop.
The workshop will include a panel discussion presenting reviewers’ perspectives on how to do a great VAST Challenge entry. In addition, there will be time for discussion by the participants on observations and lessons learned in working on this year’s challenge.
VAST Challenge 2012 Workshop Timeline
8:30 – 9:15 Challenge overview and Award Presentations
9:15 – 10:10 Presentations by Selected Award Winners
- 9:15 University of Konstanz – BANKSAFE, “Award for Outstanding Comprehensive Submission” (MC 1 & 2)
- 9:45 City University London – giCentre, “Award for Efficient Use of Visualization” (MC 1)
10:30 – 11:30 Presentations by Selected Award Winners
- 10:30 Middlesex University, “Subject Matter Expert’s Award” (MC1)
- 10:50 University of Stuttgart, “Honorable Mention for Comprehensive Visualization Suite” (MC1)
- 11:10 Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences (ISCAS), "Good Adaptation of Graph Analysis Technique" (MC2)
- Remco Chang, Tufts University
- Laura McNamara, Sandia National Laboratory
- Georges Grinstein, University of Massachusetts - Lowell
2:00 – 3:00 Presentations by Selected Award Winners
- 2:00 Purdue University – SemanticPrism, “Award for Outstanding Integrated Analysis and Visualization” (MC1)
- 2:20 Virginia Tech, “Honorable Mention for Good Use of Coordinated Displays” (MC2)
- 2:40 SZTAKI – Computer and Automation Research Institute, “Award for Good Support for the Data Preparation, Analysis, and Presentation Process” (MC1)
- Participants will give feedback on this year’s challenge. The group will discuss challenges and lessons learned tackling big data visualization and visual analytics problems.
4:15 – 4:45 Previews of 2013 Challenges
4:45 – 5:15 Posters Fast Forward
- 2-minute presentations
- Contestants will have posters of their work and demonstrate their submissions